First beer labels in Polish territories appeared most probably at the turn of 1860s and 1870s. A growing number of breweries wanted, through placing labels with trademarks, to protect their products against fakes, but their advertising function was also quickly discovered.
The labels featured first of all the name of the manufacturer, its trademark and the trade name of the beer. With time, for legal reasons, information on alcohol content or extract content began to be added. Currently, the labels also feature ingredients used in manufacturing, the best before date, the mark of the manufacturing batch and the storage requirements.
As the oldest label from Tychy is considered the 1907 label in the shape of a scarf with the princely crown and the inscription “Fürstlich Tichauer”, which was used to tag bottles with beer from Tychy distributed by the wholesale company owned by Carl Pyttlik.
On a broader scale, paper labels began to be used at the turn of 1920s and 1930s. At that time, the most popular design was an oval label with the princes’ crown and the name “Książęco Tyskie”. After the outbreak of WWII a similar design was used, with the only difference that all inscriptions were in German.
After the nationalisation of the brewery, the princely crown was dropped from the labels until 1982, when the symbol of former owners was restored and is used to this date on labels and advertising materials of the beers from Tyskie Browary Książęce.
If you would like to receive news about Tyskie Brovarium, sign up for our newsletter.